Monday, November 23, 2009

if they taught me anything...

living in the south is an experience that i will carry with me for the rest of my life. i still have furniture there, which is really the only remnant of the place i have left, but mostly i will remember the south for being one of the most politically draining experiences of my life. maybe if i lived in columbia or charleston, where there are some more democrats around, or maybe if i didn't happen to work in such a insanely Palin- Joe Wilson-loving work environment, i would appreciate it more. but i didn't.
my biggest complaint was that republicans assumed i was a democrat because i was a young woman from the West, and that i really didn't know much of anything about what the republican party believes. and only, IF ONLY, i would listen to Rush Limbaugh, i would come over to the light side and become a Republican.
well folks, that strategy failed miserably. in fact, it only emboldened my commitment to ALMOST ANYTHING other than the Republican party platform. reading the Times today, I looked at the proposed RNC Resolutions for their winter meeting. The RNC is proposing that if they're constituents don't believe in at least 7 out of 10 items, they will be at risk for not getting money from the RNC. harsh.
After peeking at the Resolutions, I can say that I disagree with every one of them. It's nice to know that I do, in fact, know where i stand in my political beliefs. now i'm not saying i'm 100% jazzed on what's going on with the Democrats, but at least I agree with their basic tenets. (and yes, Dad, i will continue to be pissed about Afghanistan-- check out the most hilarious Onion article about it here). but at least i know i'm not involved with the RNC b.s. blech.
take that South Carolina.

3 comments:

Andrew said...

that GOP top 10 made me furious

Weakley said...

hence this post.

Mara said...

WOW. Reading that list made me so angry I can hardly stand it... Glad you've stayed strong my friend, because that was just disgusting.